house

house

Wednesday 13 February 2013

Arguments

I hate arguments, especially ones that I know I cannot win.. although the sane side of me says about the subject....'so what!'

My husband likes to delegate a lot of the boring easy things to do, so it means I do his banking, collect the books from the library when they need changing.. This means that I bring back books that will somehow suit both of us to read. Each library card entitles the reading of up to 15 books! Normally I manage to get out and stagger home with a basket full of books which add up to about 9 in total. This generally means that I have chosen a few that might suit him, but certainly I think I can have a go at reading them all. I am a fast reader and often have several books going at the same time. We have a home full of books on all sorts of different subjects... because another one of my many weaknesses, is getting books from Charity shops.. Ah well, that's another story,..

The reason that I am seated at my PC, is that I am quietly and not so quietly stewing in annoyance... annoyed that such a things would impress on itself.. but anyway.. here's the thing. 
I got this book which is written about an Anglo Saxon girl, during the times of the Norman Conquest when William came over from Normandy and took control over England.   The book looked interesting, and I thought he might even enjoy a book of the times he is so interested in.. For a whole afternoon all the books have been on the kitchen table, and this evening he picked this book up, only after reading the back details, threw it back onto the table and hissed..... 'I can't read this, they have got it all wrong... before, during and after the Norman conquest, the people were the English, not Anglo-Saxons!!!!!

His main interest is this period as I said, but this vehement explosion about Anglo Saxon versus English took me quite by surprise... I felt annoyed that I had taken the time to find a book set in the period he knows so much about, only to have it thrown aside in annoyance at its inaccuracy..
 Even listening to the Radio, he will turn it off when historical facts are not just as he knows they should be. [Admittedly  radio does down talk facts in order to make it easier for the listener, but he really just explodes - to my mind quite unnecessarily...] however I felt slighted at his reaction to the book I had chosen and came upstairs to my computer to calm down and vent here, dear people, on my machine.

He is generally the most mild mannered and unassuming person, and has lots of qualities that I do admire... but get the facts wrong historically and he is a different person! 

I do not like engaging in arguments, I think it solves nothing, if you both hold a different view..  I love history, and for me Anglo Saxon was a period that I understood to be before and during Norman times, but its obviously wrong  factually.  

History is not the only subject that we do raise our arguments about.. Religion is another, and Politics... so these subjects are rarely discussed here as we both know that we shall both disagree forever....

I was going to write a little Valentine verse today to give to him tomorrow, but the way I am feeling at the moment, its best not to put pen to paper  ha ha..

10 comments:

  1. Ha ha, indeed.
    Tell him he might want to just say thank you for thinking of me. It was very nice of you to try to find something he would be interested in and it's the thought that counts....truly.

    Hope he mellows out before tomorrow and gives YOU a lovely valentine! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true some times it's best to agree to disagree and move on.

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awh Jazzi, we all have moments like this. (((HUGS))) I think you need this the most. Happy Valentine's Day my friend across the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so civilized! My husband (we've been together 26 years) would get a big fat "Go get your own damn books then!" and that would be the end of that.

    I'm scrappy.

    Thanks for coming by my blog. I really like your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, actually I did cool down a bit.. we make our own valentine's day cards, and cards for all the other occasions and I like to put a fun line or two in it... his reads.. from an admirer some times... this year it was Love is.... loving you... wonderful!! mine however a bit more... I wrote.. Its Valentine's day again you know.. I am still here, nowhere else to go!! he did laugh out loud and we chuckled together,but it was a close run thing last night!! Hope you all had a good time though today, and even if you don't have someone special, you do have friends thinking of you.. all the best janzi...

    ReplyDelete
  6. All you kind people that comment on blog,.. its wonderful having you stop by... thinking of all of you.. hugs to you wherever you are..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life and it's irritations! Would it be boring if it was always perfect? We celebrate 33 years together this Valentine's Week End, my Honey and I and with all the ups and downs I like you, am a lucky girl!
    Had to chuckle though at how "dang" heavy all those books must be when you are toting those home from the library. No wonder you feel cranky if after that, your hubby is not happy with what you brought!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just stopping by to wish you,

    ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨▲.︵.▲
    ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨◄ƒ░░ 0 }.
    ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨◄ƒ░░░░░░ o”)
    ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ◄ƒ░░░(────.·^
    ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ◄ƒ░░░§ ´
    )\¨ ¨ ¨ ¨ ◄ƒ░░░░§ ¨ ¨ ¨✺✺✺
    ) \ ¨ ¨ ¨◄ƒ░░░░░§¨ ¨ ¨\|//✺
    );;\ ¨ ¨ ◄ƒ░.︵.░░░§__(((
    );;;\¨ ¨◄ƒ░(░░)\______//
    );;;;\¨◄ƒ░░░░░░__//
    );;;;;\◄ƒ░░░░░░░░§
    );;;;;;;\░░░░░░░░░(((

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pleased you feel better after your vent! I would be leaving him to choose his own books for a time. I take a shopping trolley with me at the library,but I love it here, we have drive through library so I can send hubby to take them back - and also they deliver!!! My hubby's annoying habit is to pull apart the continuity on home decorating shows, where they do before and afters. He hates it if they show some shot with something finished and then later another shot with it unfinished while they are showing a different aspect. He drives me crazy with it, lol. I say 'just enjoy the show and ignore it' unfortunately he doesn't listen to me - totally set in his ways, xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always think that history is a bit like math....data that is real and no matter how you twist and turn it, it still come out the same. Having said that sometimes history can be interpreted in different ways by different people, for example the Titanic, each survivor seemed to have a different story.

    I, like you, love books and would have my own personal library if I could! Hugs my friend. Diane

    ReplyDelete